Beetroot & Horseradish Relish Cured Salmon
Posted on: October 30 2017
Mix the Beetroot & Horseradish Relish with the sugar and salt.
Drape a large piece of cling film over a shallow tray big enough to contain your salmon. Spoon a third of the beetroot cure on top of the cling film, spreading it out a little. Top with 1 half of the salmon, skin facing down. Spoon another third of the cure on top of the salmon flesh spreading a around the sides. Place the other piece of salmon on top, flesh facing down. Finish with the remaining beetroot and horseradish cure, again spreading around the edges of the salmon. Wrap in the cling film. Add a few more layers of cling film to contain the salmon and cure. It needs to be tight enough to prevent the cure from leaking but don’t suffocate it – the juices need to be able to escape as the salt works its magic.
Place another, smaller, tray on top of the salmon and weigh it down with something heavy.
Leave to cure for 3 days in the fridge, turning the salmon over daily and draining any liquid that collects in the tray.
Unwrap after 3 days (the salmon should feel firm to touch at the thickest part), remove and discard the cure. Slice as thinly as possible and enjoy!
1) Pile on toasted sourdough with a bed of cream cheese and top with watercress and a spoonful of Beetroot & Horseradish Relish for a sensational Sunday brunch.
2) Perfect for the party season; indulge your inner chef by experimenting with different combinations for appetisers…we particularly like:
- Cucumber boats, cured salmon, spoonful of Beetroot & Horseradish Relish with a dill garnish.
- Sourdough crispbread with cream cheese, salmon, Beetroot & Horseradish Relish and dill (also sensational with just the relish).
- Blinis with sour cream, cured salmon, soft boil quails’ egg, dill.
- Mini jacket potatoes, crème fraiche, cured salmon and Beetroot & Horseradish Relish.
- Potato rosti, cured salmon and watercress.
- 650g fillet of salmon, cut in half width-ways (get as fresh and good quality as you can)
For the cure:
- 1 x 220g jar Tracklements Beetroot & Horseradish Relish
- 50g caster sugar
- 70g flaked salt