Courgettes can often be a tricky vegetable to decide what to do with, so this Courgette Relish makes an ideal solution, especially if you’ve been growing your own veg and have ended up with more courgette than anticipated.
These are some of our other favourite ways to eat courgettes:
-Cut and fry in butter and garlic and sprinkle with fresh, chopped parsley.
– Slice up some courgettes and tomatoes and layer, put mozzarella on top and bake for 2o minutes.
– Make courgette soup by frying onions, garlic and courgettes, add stock and a parmesan rind for taste, boil and simmer. Take out rind, blitz the soup and then add a little mascarpone as you warm it up again.
– Grate into linguine pasta with some salted butter, parmesan and pine nuts.
Courgette Relish Recipe:
This makes 6 jars from Tracklements’ Courgette Relish recipe
Time (Cooking): 30 minutes (approx., not including overnight time)
– 1kg fresh courgettes
– 350g diced fresh onion
– 125g diced red pepper
– 80g diced green pepper
– 60g sea salt
– 280g raw cane sugar
– 300ml cider vinegar
– 1/2tsp turmeric
– 1/2 tsp celery seed
– 1/2 tsp fresh diced chilli
– 1 tsp mustard seed
– 2tsp fresh grated horseradish
- Chop all of the vegetables and sprinkle with salt to draw out the water. Leave to drain overnight in a colander. If you put a weight on top of the colander it will help to expel the water.
- Wash off the salt and drain the vegetables.
- Put the vinegar, turmeric, nutmeg, celery seed, chilli and mustard seed in a pan and heat to a simmer to allow the spices to flavour the vinegar. Add the vegetables and bring back to a simmer.
- Add the sugar and bring to the boil, stirring regularly, until the correct consistency is reached. The courgettes should retain their shape.
- Take off the heat and add the grated horseradish.
- Fill into sterilised jars.
Advice on preparing, making and enjoying your Courgette Relish:
Come June and July in the Great British Isles and country gardeners are finding themselves in the middle of vegetable gluts – an over-abundance of specific veggies that fill our garden patches.
One of the trickiest of abundances to deal with, is with the growing of Courgettes. However, we have a solution to the abundance in the way of Courgette Relish.
For this recipe, you will need a kilo of courgettes for this which should deplete your glut a little!
You will need to wash them and cut them into rounds of 1/2 centimetre thick, and then cut each round in half. At this stage you will need to ‘salt’ the vegetables. By taking the moisture out of the courgettes they should maintain a good ‘crunch’ which is the key to a good relish.
You will make a lovely spicy vinegar to simmer the vegetables in, and then add the sugar. There you will have it, ‘a greenness of courgettes’, in a jar, ready to offset the greyness of winter.
We know you’ll simply love this Courgette Relish recipe from Tracklements! If you’ve got any super suggestions or tasty thoughts of what this can go with, we’d love to hear!