New research shows that a healthy blood glucose or cholesterol level can be achieved by taking just a teaspoon of wholegrain mustard a day!
- Recent research has proved that wholegrain mustard is good for you and that 10g – or a heaped teaspoon – eaten every day, can help to achieve a healthy blood glucose and/or cholesterol level.
- 86% of participants in the study saw a significant drop in their blood glucose and/or cholesterol over a 12-week period.
- Great news for the UK: if the findings are extrapolated across the general population where approx. 7 million people are believed to be pre-diabetic, this would indicate somewhere in the region of 525,000 people could be helped simply by enjoying a heaped teaspoon of wholegrain mustard every day.
- There was an average decrease of 10% in blood cholesterol levels across the participants, it indicates a promising downward trend for those at a greater risk of developing heart disease, stroke and vascular dementia. This is the same sort of cholesterol reduction seen when following a low-fat diet.
Here are our favourite tried & tested ways to eat a heaped teaspoon of wholegrain mustard every day:
- In mayonnaise, hollandaise, vinaigrette and béchamel sauce
- Stirred into Gravy (and onion gravy)
- Potatoes (mashed, boiled, baked or new potato salad)
- Stirred through creme fraiche or yoghurt to be mixed through raw, julienned celeriac
- With fried mushrooms
- Spread on a crouton for a soup or a stew
- With smashed avocado and poached egg
- In cheese sauce
- In scrambled eggs